LIFE’S A PARTY ROCK YOUR BODY
Marcel The Shell With Shoes On, Three. “Life’s a party, rock your body.”
I AM SO HAPPY
Oscar de la Renta S/S 2015 RTW
"you’re three minutes early! in chicago”
Problem (Solved) ➤ SBTRKT feat Jessie Ware
SBTRKT | Living Like I Do (feat. Sampha)
ofc banksy didn’t get arrested lol that’s the whole point of him… he’s some white guy practicing an art Black and Latino men get penalized for producing by making shallow critiques of capitalism and getting away with it and “elevating” it lol
It’s very comforting to think we’ll be able to solve America’s nutrition crisis by building more grocery stores in low-income neighborhoods and educating low-income families on how to cook healthy, nutritious meals.
But the unfortunate truth is that more grocery stores and nutrition education (while helpful to some people) doesn’t address the larger problem — which is that eating is expensive.
According to the Population Reference Bureau, the number of low-income families is increasing. The report defines low-income working families as “those earning less than twice the federal poverty line.”
In 2011, the low-income threshold for a family of four with two children was $45,622. If you estimate rent at $1000/month, which is quite low for a family of four, that leaves about $33,000 for health care, transportation costs, clothing, and groceries for four people. That’s $687.50 per person per month for every single expense except rent.
Let’s do some more math.
Gala apples are among the cheapest fruit nationally. The USDA lists them at $1.16 a pound at the time I’m writing this article. There are about three apples to a pound, so if you wanted to buy your two kids an apple for each day of the week, you would spend $5.80 just on an afternoon snack for your kids. And let’s keep in mind that apples are relatively low-calorie, which means they aren’t very filling.
Six bucks doesn’t seem like much to someone with a middle class salary, but when you’re working with a weekly budget of under $700 per week for everything you need, including car repairs, gas money, winter clothing for constantly growing children, toilet paper, laundry detergent, electric bills… $5.80 starts to look pretty hefty for a snack that won’t even satisfy.
“I look at this list and can’t help but wonder how she’s supposed to do it. If $11 of apples equals two snacks, but $3 in Ramen will feed her entire family for dinner, how can she possibly pick apples with her limited food stamp budget?”McClay wonders.“And how will she ever afford to fill half of every mealtime plate with fruits and veggies, the amount recommended by the same government that issued her food stamps?”
It’s a good question.
The US government heavily subsidizes some foods, such as corn and soybeans. The result is that processed foods that are heavy in these ingredients end up being cheaper than fresh produce, which is not as heavily subsidized, if it is at all.
There is a serious disconnect between what we should be eating to stay healthy, and what the economic reality is."
at least right now I can laugh at myself like my dad laughed at me two months ago. like the kind of laugh that says “oh, I love you so much, but you’re being so, so stupid, and you’re wasting all this energy on someone who doesn’t deserve it, perk up kid”
today’s bath is too cold and a tad disappointing, but brought to you by lush’s “pink”
8. a lyric you have to shout: I DON’T KNOW WHAT I HAVE DONE/I’M TURNING MYSELF INTO A DEEEMOOOOON - tiger mountain peasant song, fleet foxes
18. favorite song title: remember me as a time of day by explosions in the sky. like fuck do you know a better song title????????? cos i can’t think of one
19. guilty pleasure song: anything from the high school musical soundtracks, and omg a song from that disney channel original movie “lemonade mouth” called “determinate” omfg i love that song
9. the song you sing most in the shower: right now, elusive by lianne la havas. ugh the most beautiful
15. a song to sum up this year so far: most definitely problem (solved) by sbtrkt ft. jessie ware had a problem I can’t leave it alone/there’s a problem where your thoughts are my own/and I can’t talk like this with anyone else/I can’t talk like this with anyone else
17. favorite album artwork: probably kill the moonlight by spoon!